Apopka Public Safety Academies
Notice for 2021 Apopka Youth Public Safety Academy: Camp has Reached Capacity
Apopka Youth Public Safety Academy 2021
Does your child have an interest in Law Enforcement or Firefighting/EMS/Paramedic as a career? Have them come experience what it is like by learning from Apopka's finest first responders. As a student, they will learn all aspects of police and fire services. They will have hands on experience by participating in daily physical conditioning, scenarios, and field trips.
Included topics include: SWAT, Fire Suppression, Crime Scene Investigations, Vehicle Extractions, Police K9, Jail Tour, High Angle Rescues, and much more!
Please Note: This program is intended to give local youth who are interested in Public Safety a better understanding of Police, Fire, and Emergency Medical Services in our community, while getting an opportunity to explore possible career choices. Due to the popular demand for this program, we ask that families who have already participated in this camp allow new Apopka families to experience this cutting edge program.
There will be a mandatory orientation meeting on Wednesday, June 23, 2021 at 6:30 PM at the Leroy F. Gilliam Training Center.
- Location: Leroy F. Gilliam Training Center (321 East Cleveland Street, Apopka, FL 32703)
- Times: 8:30 AM to 4 PM.
- Please have your student dropped off at the Training Facility prior to 8:30 AM every morning, so training can begin on time.
- Students shall be picked up at 4 PM in the afternoon in order for the instructors to prepare of the next day.
- Transportation: Will be provided to the students during the day for field trips by City vehicles.
- High School Camp One
- Monday, July 5, 2021 through Friday, July 9, 2021
- Monday, July 12, 2021 through Thursday, July 15, 2021
- High School Camp Two
- Monday, July 19, 2021 through Friday, July 23, 2021
- Monday, July 26, 2021 through Thursday, July 29, 2021
Camp is for ages 14 to 18 years of age.
- Must have turned 14 years of age by July 4, 2021 (Birthday: July 4, 2007)
- Cannot be 19 years of age before July 30, 2021 (Birthday: July 30, 2002)
The fee for this camp is $125, which includes two camp t-shirts, water bottles, lunch, and field trip fees.
Camp has Reached Capacity
For more information, please email Officer Jason Wiggins.
Apopka Citizens Police Academy
In Apopka, we have a great volunteer organization known as the Apopka Citizens Police Academy Alumni Association (ACPAAA), which helps support the mission of the Apopka Police Department. ACPAAA volunteers work throughout the year for events hosted by The City and Apopka Police Department. Each year, our great police volunteers accumulate well over 1000 hours of volunteering. We cannot say enough about these fine men and women who support our agency and our City.
In order to become a member of the ACPAAA, volunteers must attend our 12-week Citizens Police Academy, hosted by the Apopka Police Department. The Citizens Police Academy is a program designed to acquaint community residents, who are not sworn Police Officers, with the activities of our agency and to foster public education and service at community-related events. Participants learn about criminal investigations, SWAT, K-9 and more, all taught by Apopka Police Department Officers and civilian employees.
There is no cost for the Citizens Police Academy, but there are certain requirements in order to attend. For more information, please contact Officer Jason Wiggins at 407-703-1777 or JWiggins@Apopka.net.