1. Is my house in the city limits of Apopka?

To determine whether you are in the City limits of Apopka or unincorporated Orange County, you may contact the Building Division at 407-703-1713.

2. Do I need a Notice of Commencement?

If the work you are doing or hiring a contractor to do costs more than $2,500, a Notice of Commencement is required.

3. Where can I get my Notice of Commencement Application?

Orange County provides the forms on their web site http://www.docstoc.com/. The Notice of Commencement must be recorded in the Orange County Recording Office at 109 East Church Street, 3rd Floor, Suite 300 Orlando, Florida, 32801, Phone: 407-836-5115/Fax: 407-836-5101.

In the mean time, you may drop off your City of Apopka building permit without the recorded notice of commencement; however, you will need the recorded Notice of Commencement to pick up the permit once it has been reviewed and signed off.

4. Can I apply for a permit online?

Not at this time. Permit applications can be found by clicking here. Once completed you must submit the permit to our office in City Hall located at 120 E. Main Street, 2nd Floor, Apopka, Florida 32703.

5. What are the hours of operation for the Building Division?

Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., excluding holidays.

6. Where do I go to get a building Permit?

City Hall, located at 120 E. Main Street, 2nd Floor, Apopka, Florida 32703

7. Can I pull a permit as an owner-builder?

There are restrictions on pulling a permit as an owner-builder. For instance, you may not pull a permit as an owner-builder if you are leasing the property to be improved. Contact the Building Division at 407-703-1713 for more information.

8. If I am a general contractor, do I pull permits for all of the subcontractors?

As a general contractor, you may only pull permits for work you are licensed to perform. Contact the Building Division at 407-703-1713 for more information.

9. How much does a building permit cost and when do I pay those fees?

The cost of a permit is dependent on issues such as the type of work being done, the total cost of the work, and whether a review of the plans will be required. Contact the Building Division at 407-703-1713 for more information.

10. When is a building permit necessary?

Pursuant to the Florida Building Code: 105.1 Required. Any owner or authorized agent who intends to construct, enlarge, alter, repair, move, demolish, or change the occupancy of a building or structure, or to erect, install, enlarge, alter, repair, remove, convert or replace any required impact-resistant coverings, electrical, gas, mechanical or plumbing system, the installation of which is regulated by this code, or to cause any such work to be done, shall first make application to the building official and obtain the required permit.

11. Which building permits require plan review?

Any construction that requires a state registered architect, engineer or designer to "draw then up" will require review. Usually this means that if you have structural alterations, repairs or construction then it will require the appropriate review.

12. What is the normal turn-around time for obtaining a permit?

According to state law, 30 days; however, we strive for a much shorter time. The complexity of the plans will determine the turn-around time. Many permits are approved within 24-hours.

13. What are the permit requirements?

It depends on the type of permit being pulled. Contact the Building Division at 407-703-1713 for more information.

14. Is there a charge for submitting revisions to my plans?

Yes. The charges vary based on the number of revisions and the size of the job. Contact the Building Division at 407-703-1713 for more information.

15. Do I need a permit to paint my house?


16. Do I need a permit to install windows?

Yes. Your windows are a critical element for wind load protection.

17. Do I need a permit to install a shed on my property?

Yes. Additionally, when you apply for the permit, you will need to submit two (2) copies of your survey.

18. As a contractor, what information is required when I register with the City of Apopka?

Your State license, business tax receipt and your worker's compensation or exemption and a valid address and phone number. Your workers compensation will need to be sent to the building division directly from your insurance company.

19. Is it permitted for a owner to bring in plans for a tenant build-out?

Yes. The owner of a property may bring in plans for a build-out on a building they own; however, the permit must be pulled by the contractor doing the work.

20. Do I need a site plan or survey for residential or commercial plan review?

No. However, in most cases, your permit will not be issued without these documents.

21. When do plans for building permits have to be signed and sealed by a Florida registered architect or engineer?

Essentially any time an architect or engineer is required by law to submit documents for the record, they must be sealed by the architect or engineer. This includes, but is not limited to construction drawings, letters and other supporting documents. The following is excerpted for your reference from Chapter 1 of the Florida Building Code.

Florida Building Code:

106.1 Submittal documents. Construction documents, a statement of special inspections and other data shall be submitted in one or more sets with each application for a permit. The construction documents shall be prepared by a registered design professional where required by Chapter 471, Florida Statutes or Chapter 481, Florida Statutes.Where special conditions exist, the building official is authorized to require additional construction documents to be prepared by a registered design professional.

Exception: The building official is authorized to waive the submission of construction documents and other data not required to be prepared by a registered design professional if it is found that the nature of the work applied for is such that review of construction documents is not necessary to obtain compliance with this code.

More information is available at www.leg.state.fl.us/statutes. (F.S. ยง 471 and 481)